Widespread Shih Tzu Well being Issues
Editorial Notice: We earn fee from associate hyperlinks on Forbes Advisor. Charges don’t affect the opinions or rankings of our editors.
Immediately recognizable by their brief, lengthy our bodies, small, pinched faces and enormous brown eyes, the Shih Tzu is believed to have originated in Tibet, the place the shaggy pooches have been supposedly stored for companionship and as guard canines to assist alert the biggest guard canines.
Often called a pleasant and affectionate canine, the Shih Tzu is completely glad sitting in your lap and would not require a lot house, making them the proper residence canine.
Whereas Shih Tzus are usually wholesome canines, their purebred traits do include a couple of well being points that homeowners ought to pay attention to when bringing the lovable breed into their houses.
Discover one of the best pet insurance coverage corporations of 2023
Widespread well being issues for Shih Tzu
For essentially the most half, Shih Tzus are usually wholesome canines, and accountable breeders examine their canines for the commonest well being situations, together with hip dysplasia, patellar luxation (slipped kneecap), and eye abnormalities, in keeping with the American Kennel. Membership (AKC).
The trendy Shih Tzu is believed to be a cross between the Lhasa Apso and the Pekingese, which has resulted within the cute, candy face that’s liked by so many canine homeowners, however these cute options are additionally the commonest explanation for well being issues .
The Shih Tzu is a member of the brachycephalic (flat-faced) breed, says Dr. Megan Conrad, DVM, veterinary advisor at Hiya Ralphie, a telehealth web site for pets.
(Shih Tzus) may be liable to a situation known as brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome, Conrad wrote in an e mail to Forbes Advisor. This leads to excessively slim nostrils, an elongated taste bud, and bulging laryngeal saccules (tissue that will get sucked into the airways when the canine breathes).
These airway abnormalities could make respiration tougher and may be life-threatening, it provides. Signs of those respiratory issues embrace loud night breathing, noisy respiration, train intolerance and warmth intolerance.
Based on VCA Hospitals, different indicators of brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome embrace coughing, vomiting, retching, and retching. Signs are sometimes worse in sizzling or humid climate.
Along with making certain your canine is at a wholesome and correct weight, delicate instances can typically be managed by monitoring train, avoiding sizzling and humid situations and avoiding stress.
Extra extreme instances require surgical procedure, together with the removing of tissue from the nostrils, surgical shortening of an elongated palate, or the removing of everted laryngeal saccules, in keeping with the VCA.
Though it’s extra frequent in giant breed canines, hip dysplasia can even happen in small breed canines, together with the Shih Tzu.
The situation is genetic however different components, together with an extreme progress price, sure sorts of train, improper weight, and an unbalanced food plan can even contribute to the onset of hip dysplasia, in keeping with the AKC.
Hip dysplasia may cause lameness and discomfort in canines after bodily actions or working for lengthy intervals of time, wrote Dr. Paula Simons, DVM and veterinary advisor at K9 of Mine, an academic canine coaching web site, in an e mail to Forbes Advisor.
Different signs of hip dysplasia embrace the next:
- Lower in exercise
- Decreased vary of movement
- Issue or reluctance to rise up, leap, run or climb stairs
- Swaying gait
- Scratching within the joint throughout motion
- Lack of muscle mass within the thigh
- Enlargement of the shoulder muscle tissue
- Stiffness or lameness
The best remedy for hip dysplasia in canines is a complete hip alternative, in keeping with the AKC.
Patellar luxation happens when the kneecap disengages from the femoral groove because the canine flexes the knee. It is also one of the vital frequent orthopedic situations in canines, in keeping with the American Faculty of Veterinary Surgeons.
A 2018 medical analysis research on patellar luxation discovered the Shih Tzu to be among the many commonest breeds affected by the issue.
Homeowners ought to be careful for signs together with lameness, leaping in a single or each again legs, or their canine working on three legs, says Dr. Dr. Caroline George, DVM at Aliso Seashore Animal Clinic, a veterinary care heart in Laguna Seashore, California.
This situation is normally delicate and requires no remedy, George wrote in an e mail to Forbes Advisor. In extreme instances or when the canine is in ache, surgical procedure could also be required.
This breed’s giant, barely bulging eyes make them extra prone to sure eye issues, together with dry eye and proptosis (the place the attention goes out of the socket) and eye accidents, says Conrad.
Sadly, their distinguished eyes make them prone to quite a few eye-related well being issues, together with the next:
- Epiphora: This is likely one of the commonest eye issues brought on by a blocked tear duct. That is typically because of the folding of the pores and skin that’s frequent in short-faced canines and their giant, bulging eyes. This situation causes tears to overflow onto the face, leading to pink coloured tear stains.
- Eye proptosis: That is one other frequent situation in Shih Tzu because of the measurement of their eyes. It happens when weakened muscle tissue across the eye pressure the eyeball out of the socket.
- Pigmentary keratitis: This most frequently manifests itself as irritation or discoloration in a single or each eyes. It’s brought on by pigment migration to the cornea and may result in blindness.
- Progressive retinal atrophy: This situation is brought on by a gradual progressive degeneration of the photoreceptor cells within the retina, resulting in gradual lack of imaginative and prescient and finally complete blindness.
- Cataract: This situation happens most frequently in older Shih Tzus and is genetic. It results in a white movie over the attention and may result in blindness.
- Dry eyes: This situation, additionally known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), is brought on by irritation of the cornea and insufficient tear movie manufacturing. It’s believed to be a genetic dysfunction and is usually present in Shih Tzus.
Any signal of eye irritation equivalent to discharge, redness, rubbing of the eyes or lack of imaginative and prescient must be checked out by a veterinarian, says Conrad.
Does pet insurance coverage cowl these frequent well being points for Shih Tzus?
Whether or not breed-specific and hereditary situations are lined by your pet medical insurance will rely solely in your protection.
Brachycephalic airway syndrome and lumpy patellas are thought-about genetic and are unlikely to be lined by most pet insurance coverage, says George.
It is at all times a good suggestion to examine your coverage’s protection and do your homework to see what precisely your pet insurance coverage will cowl earlier than selecting a plan.
Similar to medical insurance for individuals, pet insurance coverage varies relying on the protection you select. Here is what’s generally lined by pet insurance coverage:
- Accidents and accidents
- Continual ailments
- Widespread ailments
- Critical sickness
- Hereditary situations
- Exams and diagnostics
- Holistic and different procedures
- Wellness procedures
- Behavioral remedy
- Accidents and accidents
Canine homeowners ought to be aware that pet insurance coverage sometimes would not cowl some issues, together with:
- Pre-existing situations
- Experimental therapies
- Meals, dietary and dietary dietary supplements
- Non-veterinary bills
Featured associate presents
Most annual protection
$5,000, $10,000, limitless
70%, 80%, 90%
$100, $250, $500
Most annual protection
70% or 80% (in most states)
$500 (in most states)
Most annual protection
$10,000, $20,000, limitless
$100, $250, $500
Are Shih Tzus proper for me?
Shih Tzus typically make nice additions to a family, largely as a result of they’re small, pleasant bundles of cuteness.
They’re nice companions for somebody who lives in an residence and is reasonably lively, says Conrad.
Anybody contemplating including a Shih Tzu to the household ought to think about the next concerning the breed:
- They do not require a lot train, however do want common every day walks
- Shih Tzus have a heavy coat that requires every day brushing to keep away from tangles and common grooming
- Their large eyes have to be wiped gently with a moist fabric
- Hold the highest part of hair clipped brief or tied again to keep away from eye irritation
- Trim his nails often
- They do nicely with youngsters and make an awesome household pet
- With correct coaching and socialization, Shih Tzus get alongside nicely with different canines
- Shih Tzus are wonderful little canines
- This breed requires common care and preventative vet visits
Regularly Requested Questions on Shih Tzu well being issues
Does the Shih Tzu have many well being issues?
The Shih Tzu belongs to the brachycephalic (flat-faced) breed, which implies they’re liable to a number of eye and airway issues, together with brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome.
What’s the common life expectancy of a Shih Tzu?
The Shih Tzu has a life expectancy of 10 to 18 years, with a median of 13 to 14 years.
How a lot does pet insurance coverage price for a Shih Tzu?
Pet insurance coverage for canines ranges from $20 to $44 a month, with a median of $35 a month for $5,000 of protection. A number of components can have an effect on the price of pet insurance coverage in your canine, together with the pets’ ages, the place you reside, pre-existing situations, and the sorts of protection you need.